After the holidays and falling a little off track with routines and healthy habits, I hit the reset button on New Years. While challenging at times, it feels good to get back to our old health routine as well as add some new goals as our needs change. Sharing some of the ways I am working to keep myself and family healthy this new year!
- Healthy Eating – This is always a work in progress. We are a normal family that eats out, gets takeout, and loves pizza. My goal with healthy eating is to make the majority of what we eat what I would consider “healthy”. This means un-processed foods and focusing on incorporating lots of vegetables and healthy proteins into our diet. I am personally not focusing on weight loss (see my fitness goals below), so am not following any sort of diet. That being said, I try to treat things like pizza, take-out, and indulgent meals as a once a week treat when I am eating healthy. I am a normal mom and my kids eat plenty of processed items like goldfish and cereal, but again, I try to focus on the majority of what they eat being healthy and unprocessed. I get a lot of questions on what I serve and will be sharing more of this in 2019!
- Staying Active – I always feel SO much better when I am on a schedule with my workouts. This is the main reason I exercise! I am given a physical and mental boost on the days I workout. Getting toned is an added bonus! My goal is always doing some sort of exercise 4 days a week – and I usually hit 3 days. As I have mentioned before, I usually ride my Peleton bike as my main form of exercise. I then use TRX bands or free weights for toning. I also enjoy planks – I think it is from my days of doing pilates and ballet – I make up my own variations too. With my exercises, I try to target the areas that can get a little flabby on me – my abs, back of my arms, and butt/upper thigh area. My main focus with my workouts are toning these areas.
- Drinking Water – I am so horrible with this one. I drink coffee all morning, and tea in afternoon & before bed – but struggle to drink much water in between! I have been doing better with the new year and keeping it at the front of my mind – and force myself to chug 2 large glasses with each meal. I go to the bathroom ALL THE TIME, and hate this aspect of drinking more water 🙁
- Positive Mindset – I shared this on my New Years post – how I choose happiness each day. One thing I did last year that I am repeating this year is continuing my devotional journal. It contains a devotional prayer, scripture, and a space for me to reflect. In addition to reflecting on what that day’s passage is about, I make myself write down one thing I am grateful for that day. I do this at night before bed – I wish I could do this in the morning, but it is more of a routine for me to do this at night.
- Early Mornings – I have found that waking up at 6am gives me an hour of peace before the house wakes up. I use this time to answer emails, listen to the news, and enjoy a cup of coffee. Rather than waking up with the kids, I am already awake (and caffeinated) and have started my day with a little peace. There are plenty of mornings I hit the snooze button, but majority of the days I have been trying to get up and enjoy this quiet time.
I would love to hear how you are focusing on health this year!